Thursday, July 6, 2017

Powercenter Integration Service Won't Start: Error SF_34004 - Missing Environment Variables

I recently had an issue where I could not get the Informatica PowerCenter Integration Service to start after an install. The service generated this error code: SF_34004. There is an Informatica KB article describing this problem and the appropriate fix:

Basically, it's suggesting that the Integration Service was configured to connect to the PowerCenter repo using the schema credentials and not the domain administrator.

However, I found that this did not help. the repo service was running correctly and the integration service was using the correct credentials. I checked the user running PowerCenter, and realized the INFA_HOME, INFA_DOMAIN_FILE, and other variables were not set correctly. After setting these and restarting PowerCenter, I was able to enable the Integration Service.

Friday, May 5, 2017

Abnormally Long First Boot Times on Cisco 3750x's with 15.2.x code

I recently upgraded some Cisco 3750x (WS-C3750X-48T-S to be precise) from 12.2.x code to 15.2 code (15.2(4)E4.)

The reboot took a rather long time due to microcode updates. It was about 25-30 minutes. The following messages were displayed:

Front-end Microcode IMG MGR: Preparing to program device[0]...25166 bytes.
Front-end Microcode IMG MGR: Programming device 0...rrrrrrwssssssssssssssssssspssssssssssssssssssspp
Front-end Microcode IMG MGR: Preparing to program device[0]...86370 bytes.
Front-end Microcode IMG MGR: Programming device 0...rrrrrrwssssssssssssssssssspssssssssssssssssssspw

% Front-end Microcode IMG MGR: HW image is upgraded. MCU reset causes the switch to reload

If you're making such an upgrade, be prepared for a long wait. It will likely be worse on a stack.

While the 3750x is not a speedy switch, management-wise, this was impressively slow. The regular boot time after the upgrade was about 5-6 minutes, so be patient. Switches in a stack will take even longer to boot.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Android Nougat and OTG Sound Blaster E3 Sound Issues

I recently upgraded to Nougat and experienced sound issues using an OTG cable and my Sound Blaster E3 DAC. The sound was basically panned hard to the left, slower than normal, and there was some distortion.

I realized that ES File Explorer was activating each time I plugged the E3 in. The simple fix was to remove ES File Explorer. That being said, I'll probably experiment with its settings as it's a useful utility.